The industry standard for safely securing cryptocurrencies is hardware wallets. These specialized devices provide full isolation between your computer and your private keys.
The Avalanche Ledger wallet app is available via Ledger Live.
NOTE: At this time, the Avalanche Ledger app requires the use of a third-party wallet. The ledger can connect to the Avalanche wallet or to Core. This tutorial will showcase the Avalanche wallet. For information on how to connect Ledger to Core, follow the Ledger setup steps below and then check out connecting a Ledger to Core extension and connecting a Ledger to Core web.
Withdrawing AVAX to the address seen directly in Ledger Live will end up on the Binance Smart Chain (BSC) network (BEP20 AVAX). Please check out this article for information on how to access these funds.
Setting up the Avalanche app on Ledger
1. Install Ledger Live on the computer or mobile device that which the Ledger Nano will be connected. Downloads are available for macOS, Windows, and Linux as well as iOS and Android.
Make sure Ledger Live is ready to use. Disclaimer: Make sure you have the latest version of the Ledger Live application before proceeding. Older versions may not show the latest device firmware and Avalanche app version.
Make sure the firmware on your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X is up to date.
2. After successfully installing the app, make sure to open it on the device and run it. Complete the necessary setup steps for Ledger Live as needed.
3. Connect the Ledger to the computer and enter your pin. In Ledger Live, go to the "My Ledger" tab, and allow device management by pressing both buttons on the device. In the App Catalog search field enter "Avalanche". Confirm that the Avalanche app is v0.7 (or greater), and click the "Install" button.
To confirm the installation was successful, click the "Apps Installed" tab and search "Avalanche". You should see the application installed and the current version and the application size.
4. Once the Avalanche app is installed on the Ledger, it can now be connected to the Avalanche Wallet. Once connected, the ability to send AVAX, other tokens, NFTs, initiate cross-chain swaps, staking, and delegating will be available.
5. To access the Avalanche Wallet, plug in the Ledger to a computer, and enter the pin.
If there is more than one app installed on the device, use the left and right buttons to select the Avalanche app.
Once the Avalanche app is located, press both buttons simultaneously to start the app. The "Avalanche" app screen should appear and then confirm that the app is version 0.6.5 (or greater).
6. After confirming that the Avalanche app is running, navigate to the Avalanche Wallet.
Click the "Access Wallet" button.
7. Select, "Ledger" to access the wallet. It will automatically read your public keys and connect the Ledger.
8. Once connected, the Avalanche wallet will display any current balances.
9. To transfer funds, go to the "Send" tab and paste an X-Address into the "To Address" field. Set an amount and optionally set a memo. Press "Confirm" and then the "Send Transaction" button.
A prompt to confirm the action will appear on the Ledger. Check that the hash which is displayed in the web wallet matches what is displayed on the Ledger. If everything matches then confirm by pressing both buttons on the last screen to send the transaction.
10. Click the icon to refresh the balance, and once complete it will decrease per the amount which was sent.
11. In the right-hand column, clicking the magnifying glass icon will open the transaction in our explorer.
12. After successfully sending, the transaction details will appear in the explorer. This lists all the transaction details, including transaction ID, status, when the transaction occurred, and all of the information regarding inputs and outputs.
For any additional questions, please visit our knowledge base or contact a support team member via the chat button at support.avax.network.