The industry standard for safely securing cryptocurrencies is hardware wallets. These specialized devices provide full isolation between your computer and your private keys.
The Avalanche Ledger wallet app is available via Ledger Live.
Setting up the Avalanche app on Ledger
Before you start
Ledger Live is ready to use. (Disclaimer: Make sure you have the latest version of the Ledger Live application before proceeding. Older versions may not show the latest device firmware and Avalanche app version.)
2. After successfully installing the app, make sure to open it on the device and run it. Go to the "Manager" tab, and allow device management by pressing both buttons on the device. In the App Catalog search field enter "Avalanche". Confirm that the Avalanche app is v0.5.9 (or greater), and click the "Install" button.
To confirm the installation was successful, click the "Apps Installed" tab and there you should see Avalanche v0.5.9.
3. Once the Avalanche app is installed on the Ledger Nano S or Ledger Nano X, the Avalanche Wallet can now be connected to the Ledger. Once connected the ability to send AVAX, other tokens, NFTs, initiate cross-chain swaps, staking, and delegating will be available.
4. To access the Avalanche Wallet, plug in the Ledger to a computer, and enter the pin.
If there is more than one app installed on the device, use the left and right buttons to select the Avalanche app.
Once the Avalanche app is located, press both buttons simultaneously to start the app. The "Avalanche" app screen should appear and then confirm that the app is version 0.5.9 (or greater).
5. After confirming that the Avalanche app is running navigate to the Avalanche Wallet
Click the "Access Wallet" button.
6. Select, "Ledger" to access the wallet.
7. A prompt will appear to confirm the public keys on the Ledger. Click the right button through the prompts on the device and on the last screen confirm by pressing both buttons.
8. This will need to be confirmed twice because different keys are used for different chains. Once successful, the Avalanche wallet will display any previous balances.
9. To transfer funds, go to the "Send" tab and paste an X-Address into the "To Address" field. Set an amount and optionally set a memo. Press "Confirm" and then the "Send Transaction" button.
A prompt to confirm the action will appear on the Ledger. Check that the hash which is displayed in the web wallet matches what is displayed on the Ledger. If everything matches then confirm by pressing both buttons on the last screen to send the transaction.
10. Click the icon to refresh the balance, and once complete it will decrease per the amount which was sent.
11. In the right-hand column, clicking the magnifying glass icon will open the transaction in our explorer.
12. After successfully sending, the transaction details will appear in the explorer. This lists all the transaction details, including transaction ID, status, when the transaction occurred, and all of the information regarding inputs and outputs.